Monday, December 28, 2009

Gavin's Breakfast of Champions #2

Veggie Frittata

dark brown logoMix together 2-6 Eggs getting rid of 1/3 to 1/2 the yokes to keep the fat content lower while keeping the protein high.  
Two egg whites equal the protein in an entire egg approximately but less calories so keep that in mind with how many eggs you need.






Add in 1-2 servings of vegetables for vitamins and flavor, and don't be chintzy on the veggies.  
One of my secrets is to use frozen chopped vegetables or even canned to cut down on prep time in the morning.  All veggies will be great in a frittata but here are my favorites:
  • Mixed Bell Peppers (more color the better)
  • Spinach (you can use frozen or even salad baby spinach)
  • Tomatoes (I'll even use grape tomatoes)
  • Onions
  • Black Beans
Add herbs (basil, oregano, cilantro), salsa or just some salt and pepper to add to the flavors

Add 1-2 pieces of whole grain wheat or rye toast
Toast will add calories and fiber to the meal so depending on your goals eat more or less toast.

Between the protein and fiber we have another super satiating breakfast.  Remember that this is a frittata and not an omelet, so don't cover it in cheese and ruin it.  Also, only a thin layer of butter or jelly on that toast or better yet a thin layer of peanut butter for healthier oils.

2 comments:

Gypsy said...

I'd like to follow your blog. I would greatly benefit from it. As my goal for 2010 is better health, weight loss, through a more active lifestyle and healthier diet. Since June, I've already lost 40lbs and wish to continue my journey to getting healthier.I dont see the follow option on your blog. How do I follow?

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, but I would recommend not using canned veggies. They often have added sodium and don't taste as good as fresh or frozen options. Look for canned beans with no sodium added, as well.

Fritatas are great because you can make a large one ahead of time and then cut your portion and pop it in the microwave when you're ready to eat for breakfast or for lunch.