1. Curb All-or-Nothing Thinking: I already ate two cookies and a glass of wine today, so I may as well keep eating and drinking. Wrong. Enjoy the cookie and wine in smaller bites and sips and remember the first one is always the best, so just stop there.
2. Fill Up on Veggies 1st: luckily most parties do have some type of veggies, hopefully raw, so grab a big plate and drink water with your wine to feel full so the pie isn't so enticing.
3. Focus on Socializing: check your priorities. Get-togethers should be about great conversation, learning new things about people and becoming closer, NOT how many free beers you can drink or pieces of cheese you can eat. Talk/listen more, eat less.
4. Talk Yourself Out of It: When cookies, treats and extras are in abundance, or dreery weather blocks your path remind yourself that it is much harder to lose the weight that is gained from overeating than to just not overeat in the first place.
5. Try on Something New: changing embedded holiday traditions head on seems tough, instead open some space in your mind for a new possibility for a healthy holiday period. What would it look like?