- Hot (or cold) Chocolate Made with Protein Powder - honestly it tastes the same without all the sugary mix, depending on the type of protein of course.
- Snack on Cold Cuts - always have a pack in the fridge and when you usually reach for chips, scarf some low fat cold cuts like chicken or turkey.
- Power Pancakes - substitute or supplement some of your pancake mix with vanilla protein powder. This works with any baked goods too!
- Add Canned Tuna or Chicken to Salads - don't make boring salads, add everything including a can of tuna or chicken to help stave off hunger longer.
- Snack on No-fat Cottage Cheese - make it savory with salt/pepper, salsa or hot sauce or eat it sweet with fresh fruit, both are amazing.
- Chicken Sausage Any Time of Day - I am in love with Trader Joe's chicken sausage flavors because they are quick, healthy, delicious and can be added to any meal: breakfast (with eggs or toast), lunch(sandwich or salad), dinner (italian, stew)
- Drink Milk - remember when moms used to make us drink milk everyday, there was a reason: milk or soy both contain a great blend of carbs and protein which makes it the perfect pre-workout or post recovery drink. Next time you are at a road stop, grab a milk instead of a sugary drink.
- Add Meat to Soups - in cold months I like to take purees like butternut squash or tomato and add in ground or chunk chicken or turkey along with other spices, veggies.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
8 Ways to Get More Protein in Your Diet
Most American diets consist of way too much sugary carbs that do not satiate our hunger and lead to over eating. Think of your mental state when eating a bag of chips. Protein however is proven to be the most satiating of all food types, even more than fat, so finding new ways to get more protein in your diet does not only support muscle growth, it is good for your waistline as well.