Monday, October 15, 2012

4 UFD Stories

Bravery is not being fearless it is showing up to face it

The inaugural UFD race was just an amazing experience for all involved that we wanted to share a few stories and pics to inspire you to participate next year and bring a big team along with you.  

Many people were intimidated and for some the price was too high.  While we are going to lower the prices with bigger numbers now that we are on the map, the difficulty of the race is really more fear than the course being impossible as these stories will show.  Next year however we will be dropping the team number limit (so you can have more than three), as well as, the competitive timed race aspect (we will still have a clock for self timing/reporting) as everyone gets a trophy just for finishing.

Jon

- What was your reason for signing up? How did you decide to do it?
It was a challenge from my personal trainer and after questioning it for a while I finally gave in and just took it on having faith in his opinion and my abilities.

- How did you train for it? Did you feel prepared?
I trained with my personal trainer and started running outside on the weekends with my brother-in-law who is a elite runner.  They both really kicked my ass and I felt like I wasn't getting better but it was just because they were so good.  Definitely train for this and with people at a higher level than you.

- Did you have any concerns/fears before the race? how did it turn out? did you overcome them? 
I wasnt sure I was going to be able to do it. I've only been training for a year.  My biggest fear was coming in last but I sucked it up and kept going. I ran the Tough Mudder a few weeks before UFD and actually blew through it feeling great. The UFD on the other hand really forced me to pause and  I was just dead by the end, like I couldn't have given any more. 


- What did you learn about yourself or gain from doing this fitness event?
I am stronger than I think, but I still have a long way to go!



Ashley Vogel


- What was your reason for signing up? How did you decide to do it?
I’ve never been very athletic and only started working out in January when I joined the Fusion/Unite studio in New Jersey. When I saw the email about UFD back in July, I thought, with more 3 months, I want to put to the test all the training I had done over the past 10 months.

- Did you have any concerns/fears before the race? how did it turn out? did you overcome them?
Leading up to the race, I did not feel well prepared at all, but after completing the decathlon, I was pleasantly surprised in my performance. My biggest fear was that I wouldn’t be able to complete the 10 fitness challenges, since strength is my weakest point, however I powered through, and can happily say that I didn’t give up, and completed all 10 challenges.

- What did you learn about yourself or gain from doing this fitness event?
I realized how much I truly love trail running, and when you are with friends its even more amazing. After crossing the finish line, I felt like I could keep running!

- What advice would you have for someone considering this event?
Just have fun!

Micah

- What was your reason for signing up? How did you decide to do it?
When I first heard about the decathlon, I thought it was clearly something designed for the fittest people in the region, and I was nowhere close to being able to complete it.  But then my friend Mara decided to compete and I was inspired by her courage. I began working out in January and lost a lot of weight. Reflecting on how far I had come with my training in just 8 months, I decided to sign up as a motivational goal to keep me focused.  


- How did you train for it? Did you feel prepared?
How could I be prepared? Just 9 months earlier, I weighed in at Fusion/Unite studio at 267 pounds and was only able to run .72 miles in 12 minutes.  I might as well have been walking!  I was already comfortable with each of the exercise challenges, since most were part of the regular Unite strength training routines. Using the RunKeeper app on my phone, I set small distance goals for myself and began running outside a couple times a week, in addition to regular workouts.  


- Did you have any concerns/fears before the race? how did it turn out? did you overcome them?
Most of all, I was afraid of the box jumps.  I didn’t think I could jump that high, and definitely not 50 times but then I watched myself in the mirror as I jumped and to my surprise saw that I was clearing the top of the box by a few inches. 


- How did you feel when your wave was called vs when you crossed the finish line?
I was a bundle of nervous energy before my wave was called. Ultimately, I kept telling myself, this is just like a long workout.  I can do this.  The feeling of crossing the finish line was amazing. It was so cool to run across the finish line and see my friends and family there cheering.  I felt on top of the world!


- What did you learn about yourself or gain from doing this fitness event?
I have heard Gavin say this to me before, but this event really drove it home for me: I can accomplish any fitness goal I set for myself.  I really do believe that now.  And it has opened up a whole new world of possibilities about the kind of person I can be.  I am more determined than ever to continue my training, take on more races and take off another 40 pounds of fat over the long term.

Amy

 - What was your reason for signing up? How did you decide to do it?
I signed up on a fluke-- I told a friend I'd do it if she did, thinking she'd say no...but she actually registered!  The ironic thing is that she had a complication and couldn't compete.

How did you train for it? Did you feel prepared?
At first I was really worried about the run-- I'd done a few 5ks, but 6.25 miles sounded like a lot.  So I went distance running with a local running club about 10 weeks before the race.  I did my regular workout schedule,which includes 3-4 Fusion/Unite workouts per week, and some yoga.  I also did all 3 practice sessions hosted by the race-- those were EXTREMELY helpful because running after weights is different from just plain running.  The coaches showed us the proper form to use for each challenge and what we learned made working with them a lot easier & less exhausting.  

- Did you have any concerns/fears before the race? how did it turn out? did you overcome them? 
In spite of the fact that I did train for the race, I was incredibly nervous. I had never attempted to do anything even remotely similar to this event, so I was worried I'd look like an idiot, etc.  I was beside myself the entire morning of the race, so once they called our wave, I was relieved to be able to finally turn my brain off and let my body do its thing.  The finish felt like an primal, childlike level of happiness that I don't normally experience in day-to-day life.

- What did you learn about yourself or gain from doing this fitness event?
I went into this knowing rationally I could finish it, but had no actual faith in my own abilities.  What really surprised me is how much fun I had going through the course, and a big part of that is thanks to my teammate Bridgid.  I learned that taking on these super hard challenges can actually be enjoyable.  I also learned that there is no need for heroes in fitness, its all for all. 

- Did anything surprise you in this event?
EVERYTHING about this entire experience surprised me. The fact that I registered, showed up, enjoyed it and even finished in the top of my wave, everything was unexpected.


1 comment:

Ositamani said...

inventory with 8 stretched hides, 16 dragannoth hides, a whole pile Record: 183-24-10-1 (131 KOs)  With his hand still on my mouth, he put You can own silver several different ways. advocating that this is a bad thing, in itself, particularly if the